Friday, September 26, 2008

Rehearsals

I have noticed that I often rehearse things I'm going to say in my head before I say them out loud.

I especially do this when I'm going to say something in French. It's really interesting, because along with it tends to come an increase in heart rate and blood pressure. I think about what I might need to say to someone to make them understand my motives or to get what I need. Sometimes, I think halfway through a phrase or sentence and then start over, because I realize that I don't know that word in French yet...but sometimes, I do remember it in Spanish, which is not at all helpful.

I wonder if most people rehearse the words they are going to say. They probably don't all the time, but maybe at least sometimes.

Learning a new language is really fun and stimulating. I'm really glad I get the opportunity to do this.

2 comments:

Natalie Au.D. said...

I do the same thing in Norwegian. That is why I like to write it some of the time because I can always delete and re-write it in a way that I know how to say it. Keep up the hard work though. You will get to a point where it flows freely and you will be even thinking and dreaming in French.

khenneise said...

This is a really interesting comment to read tonight after spending time reading a chapter and article on the sociolinguistic theory. =)

I would love to be fluent in another language. Maybe someday...