Monday, September 15, 2008

The First Rule of Sam's Club

As a mildly-seasoned parent, I have learned the hard and fast, number one rule of having a small child: Do not leave the house without food.

Simple.

It doesn't even matter if your intention is to leave the house and come back in 10 minutes. If you don't bring some type of food with you, you will probably be sorry. You could always get a flat tire...or get caught in some unforeseen traffic...or get stuck in the slowest checkout line in the grocery store...or any number of things.

Lately, we have been so "on the go" with errands and other activities that we have been running late for snacks, lunch, and supper. This means that Sam inevitably gets hungry and cranky and needs the food I have stashed in his diaper bag. Most of the time, it is crackers or some other remotely unhealthy snack.

It is funny to see the progression my parenting has taken since Sam was born. I would not have thought I would allow my child to eat so many non-nutritious things just so he wouldn't fuss and carry-on...and so I could get some things done... Not that I ever thought he wouldn't eat junk food...and no, it's not like I usually allow him to eat junk all day. I guess this is just par for the course. When the leader of your club is a toddler, some preconceived rules are bound to get the boot.

No comments: