Tuesday, September 23, 2008

(Navigating the) Belgian Supermarket, Part 2

Another big difference between the supermarkets in America and the ones here is that if you want a bag, you have to bring your own (or buy a reusable one there). There are no bag boys--you have to do it yourself. If you have ever been to Aldi in the States, then you kind of know what I'm talking about. Like at Aldi, most of the grocery stores here have the carts that you have to put the money in, too. You can even shop at Aldi here (I believe it is a German company), if you want, but it's not that great. A lot of the food there is not that good for you. Luckily, the reusable bags I told you about are very sturdy and can handle a lot of weight. It's a good idea. Less plastic in the landfills.

1 comment:

khenneise said...

I shopped at Aldi when I student taught in England. It is different than in America - but still cheap! (I was a poor college student, remember.) If I wanted something, um, more decent, though I went to the grocery type stores which were very like Kroger or similar chains. I remember going to the one just outside of Eastbourne a lot - we got the makings for nachos and shared that with the other girl's host family.