Monday, September 8, 2008

An Act of Kindness

The other day, Sam and I were driving back home from getting groceries. It was raining, and we had just turned off of the highway onto a little road that takes us to another little road, that takes us home. We had to slow down, because there was a car stopped in the middle of the road--not an uncommon occurence here. Then I realized what was happening. There were two females in the car. There was a man in a suit, carrying a briefcase and an open umbrella, standing next to the car. One of the women was clearing a space in the backseat, so the man could sit there. Most likely, the man had taken the bus to and from work (the bus system has many pick up and drop off points, making it an excellent source of public transportation). Because it was raining, and it rains often here, he was prepared with an umbrella. I don't know if the women knew him. It is likely, since it is a smaller community. But, at the time, I figured that if they did know each other, they were merely acquaintances. The pick-up might have been planned, but I don't think it was. As I drove past this scene, I felt chills, as I often do, when I witness kindness in progress.

No comments: