Thursday, September 11, 2008

America, the Beautiful

It may be a cliche to blog about 9-11 today, but I don't feel that I have any choice.

I am not in the U.S. today, so I didn't get inundated with the coverage of the memorial services. I only heard a few snippets on BBC while I was driving in my car.

I guess today is one of those days where you want to be with or at least around someone who understands what it felt like to be in America on the day of 9/11. That was a scary day. Do you remember where you were? I have memories of my dad talking about being at school when he found out that Kennedy got shot. In the same way, I will always remember where I was...and how incredibly out of control the world seemed, especially in the couple of hours after all of the planes went down.

I would like to add that the U.S. really is a great country. It does have its problems, but so does every other nation...

There is not much more to say, so I guess I'll just end with a prayer that peace will prevail...Amen.

1 comment:

Cat said...

I remember when Kennedy was shot and that we were at school in Thawville.
On 911, I can remember watching the special news reports on tv in our lounge at the hospital, the first plane hitting the first tower and thinking how tragic it was. Then, after the second plane hitting the second tower, could it really be possible that someone would do something so extreme to threaten the U.S.? When the Pentagon got hit, I walked back to OR #1 and told everyone that the Pentagon was on fire, too. We then turned off all the radios so our focus would be on our patients. It was a very solemn day never to be forgotten.