Wednesday, September 10, 2008

"She Must Not Love Life"

That is what Bernard said when we were going through a roundabout, and a driver took her turn, when it clearly wasn't her turn. Bernard was the guy from the relocation office who drove us to all of the houses we looked at on our house-hunting trip.

I think of that statement often when I witness the crazy, Belgian driving. However, most often, I utter that phrase when I see the maniacs on the motorcycles zipping through...and between traffic.

The other day, I was on my way to meet Brian, so we could pick up my car. I got stuck behind a line of cars, because this is a rural area, and there are lots of sloooooooow farm implements on the roads. Well, this guy on a "crotch rocket" decided that he didn't like how slow we were going. He thought it was a good idea to bypass the road, go through a rest area on the side of the road, and then merge back into the traffic. He ignored his yield sign and emptied out onto the road a couple meters in front of my car. Hello! I have a child in my car.

These cyclists do this kind of stuff all the time! On the motorway, they weave in and out of the lanes...sometimes riding between the lanes. All it will take is one person changing lanes and not seeing them zipping through where they shouldn't even be.

It's crazy! It really makes you believe that they couldn't possibly love life!! (Or care about anyone else's, for that matter!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have to be a little screwy to ride a crotch rocket, methinks. And the crazy thing is that those who do might be thinking that they are living life to the fullest with their crazy speed and recklessness. Sorry, dude. You are not Tom Cruise in Top Gun.

Jamie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.