Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Langue

I actually don't know which French word to use. In my translation dictionary, langue and langage are both listed as meaning "language." Anyhow, I have been noticing some cool breakthroughs recently.

Today, when I was changing the laundry, I realized that I understand two words on the washing machine that I didn't know when I first moved here. It was an awesome feeling, because these two words were next to each other, so now I understand what the button I had been ignoring is for. I actually looked up the words when we first moved here, but I forgot them about two minutes afterwards. I was so inundated with new vocab when we first arrived. Another cool thing about these two new words is that I can remember how I learned both of them. Each new word is like a little trophy to me right now.

Samuel has also been having his own speech and language breakthroughs. He is getting so much better at imitating the words that we say. He is like a little sponge right now! As a speech-language pathologist, I can't help but revel in his emerging linguistic skills. Each new word in his vocabulary is also like a little trophy to Brian and me...and to Sam...because it helps Sam express himself better. It helps him to comment on his world...and request his wants and needs.

Sam and I are both going through an explosion of language, and it's hard for me not to notice and compare our development. Right now, I feel like a toddler of French. I am excited to learn how to express myself more clearly.

1 comment:

Natalie Au.D. said...

See I told you! Keep up the good work and you will no longer sound like a Dick and Jane book in French. I don't know if I have ever told you this or not but my Norwegian mom had post-its on everything so that I had to say the word before I took it, opened it, or used it. It worked pretty well.