Thursday, October 16, 2008

All Apologies

Maybe it's because of the language barrier, but...so far, I haven't noticed the Belgians to be very apologetic.

Maybe I just noticed it because it seems that a lot of Americans tend to be overly apologetic, especially when it comes to business. Today, I had to call the credit card company, because my account was flagged for fraud. I'm not surprised. It comes with living here and making purchases that I would not have made back in the States. Well, both of the people whom I talked to were so nice and gave great customer service and said "sorry."

When the phone company here skipped out on three appointments, they never said sorry to us at all.

Well, let me fine-tune my observation... There have been a few times that I've noticed the Belgians saying sorry. I guess it has mostly been with our more personal encounters. Last night, we had our first French class. Our teacher was quite late, because she couldn't find our house, and she said "sorry" several times. Also, our landlord said "sorry" a couple times when our heater broke and when I told her about the leaks in our house.

It should be interesting to see if my view of Belgians changes as I live here...or if I will find my initial observations to be true.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Esperanto....eh? Pretty trippy. I had never heard of it before, so I looked it up on Wikipedia and looked at the video that this fellow recommended, and I would have to say that it is one of the weirdest things I've ever heard of. At first, I was like, "Is this made up? Is this real?" Indeed, it appears that it is real...and it is also "made up", in that it was invented. Thanks for the post.