Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I Just Need Some Space

I was about ready to scream in the bookstore on Saturday. These crazy Belgians definitely have a different sense of space than what I'm used to. I was crouching, looking at a book in a bookstore, and a guy and a gal came up behind me...*right* behind me and were looking at the top row of books above me. When I stood up to look at some different books, I had to be careful not to brush up against them... In the U.S., what they did would be construed as a very rude thing to do. You just don't get in someone's space like that. But here, it is an everyday occurence. I'm not sure why, but I think it might have something to do with their limited space here. For example, when you are driving on the road, you often have a lot less room than you do on roads in the U.S. But, then again, I am from the Midwest, where it is pretty roomy. Maybe the East Coast (in the U.S.) is a little bit different...and maybe people get a little bit closer there. All my East Coasters....and people who have been to Europe....can you weigh in on this one for me?

No comments: