Friday, October 17, 2008

I Miss...

I don't want this blog to be overly negative, but if it is, it might just be a reflection of my personality...and quite possibly the stage of adjustment that I am going through as an ex-pat.

There are a lot of things that are really good here. I am glad to be in Belgium. That being said, there are a lot of things that I miss from the United States. Here are a few of them:

1) My family
2) My friends
3) The familiarity of Illinois
4) English
5) The grid system (roads)
6) Certain foods: provolone cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, Arby's roast beef sandwiches, skim milk, black beans, Reese's peanut butter cups, Mountain Dew, American-style Chinese food
7) The babysitters we had established.
8) Chili's, Applebee's, and similar restaurants. They are great for kids.
9) Closets
10) Being able to hang up a wet towel and have it be dry 24 hours later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hear you on the negative thing. I think that is sort of the nature of a blog. I feel like I'm being negative and complaining all the time, when really things are going well. I guess the blog is more interesting if we build drama into it. With that said, I think your list of things you miss in America is an astute one. Ahhh the simple pleasures. If you gave us your address we could send you some goodies!