Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Video Game Driving

You know how in video driving games, you have all these obstacles in the road that you have to avoid? Well, when I drive in Belgium, I feel like I'm in a video game sometimes. So, I'll be driving down the Chaussee, and all of a sudden, someone parks their big truck in the middle of the road so they can make a delivery. Now, everyone in my lane must drive around this truck. Since the road, in some parts, is only wide enough for the lane you are driving in and the lane for the oncoming traffic, you must go into the oncoming's lane. Not very fun.

Today, when I was driving, I had to make several unexpected stops: for a car that was backing up to parallel park, a pedestrian crossing the road (not on the crosswalk), a person swinging her car door open into the road, and a van that signalled it wanted to merge onto the road--only to stop again in three meters to park in a different spot. In the past, I have also had to drive on the other side of the road--ON A ROUNDABOUT--in order to enter the roundabout that was blocked by a semi. When these things happen, my blood pressure usually skyrockets...and I sometimes say words I shouldn't say in front of Sam. I hope these bad driving habits don't rub off on me!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I feel your pain! In E'ville, I swear, not a single person knows how to drive--four way stops mean four way free-for-alls and parking lots become pinball machines. I've seen more low-speed crashes in the 18 months here than I've ever seen.