Saturday, June 28, 2008

Roly Polys and Fireflies

As we count down the days until our newly planned move date, I can't help but feel a deep nostalgia for most everything in my current surroundings. I looked out across the corn field (the last in our area for miles) the other night, and I saw one of the surest signs that summer is here: shimmering fireflies. It led me to recall fond memories of childhood--catching fireflies in my hands and watching them flicker. I thought about how Sam will want to catch them pretty soon, too. But then I wondered if they have fireflies (I really call them "lightning bugs," but "fireflies" sounds more poetic) in Belgium.

It's interesting to watch Sam as he discovers all the things in this world. Just the other day, he reached out his fisted hand in my direction. Out of habit, I held out my open hand, palm up, to him. Oh, lovely. He gave me a live roly poly. It reminds me of the story a distant acquaintance shared regarding an early morning wake-up call in which her dog brought her a gift. Unfortunately for her, canines have limited avenues for procuring presents. I'm sure you can guess that the surprise was a dead rodent.

I guess I shouldn't neglect to admit that I have felt relief that I won't have to deal with the abundance of rude, Chicagoland drivers for some time. I don't think Belgian drivers are quite as rude. While I was in Belgium, there were some traffic jams, but I'm hoping the traffic conjestion won't be so endemic.

Well, I must be off. There are still many good-byes to say--to people and to the familiarity of Illinois. There are many things that I do not even realize I am going to miss. I will just try to take it all in--minute by minute, day by day.

No comments: