Tuesday, June 24, 2008

I don't know

Or as they say in French, "Je nas sais pas." When are we leaving? Je nas sais pas. When will we get the work permit and our visas? Je nas sais pas.

It's difficult to live in such an uncertain world. We're used to being able to make plans and feel comfortable. Now I feel as though I am spiraling out of control. Nothing is in my control. Someone wants to come see the house when I have company, Sam is taking a nap, and there is food being delivered in 15 minutes? Well, great!

At our cultural training, they talked about the stages you go through after you move to another country. You have a honeymoon period where everything is new and exciting. Then you have a bit of a revelation and you get a little depressed. Then you recover a little. Then you plunge into an abyss of depression for a little while. I asked the trainer, "What about the time period before you move? Aren't there peaks and valleys there?"

The best advice I have gotten so far is that I can't over-compare the U.S. to there. I need to see what I'm experiencing as an adventure.

I have a feeling, I am going to need to see the next couple months (or however long) here as an adventure, too. There may be a period of time where we have no furniture and where Sam and I are living with my parents.

Hey, why not start today? Every day is an adventure with an 18 month old!

No comments: