Monday, April 27, 2009

And...We're Back!

We're back in the U.S. after 9 months of living in Belgium, and we can't help but compare everything about the two countries. It's only natural, I suppose.

But, there is one difference which has really caught me off guard. I didn't realize I was going to be so overwhelmed with all of the choices. We went to Wal-Mart the other day for the first time, and I got a headache from all of the possibilities. You want crackers? Well, make your selection from this nearly 1/4 of a mile long aisle of ONLY crackers: cheese, Ranch-flavored, peanut butter, lowfat, nonfat, salted, unsalted, organic, bite size, round, square.... There were about 10 varieties of crackers in our grocery store in Belgium, so it wasn't that difficult to make a decision. It's going to take some getting used to, I think.

One time, I read somewhere that people tend to be happiest when they have a fewer amount of choices. I am wondering if there is some truth to that.

No comments: