Thursday, August 21, 2008

Possessions (7/25/08)

(Note: This blog was written when I didn't have a computer or internet access, but I wanted to share it anyway)

We got one of the packages we sent to ourselves before we left the U.S. today. The delivery guy was supposed to bring both parcels, but only brought one.

We get our air shipment on Tuesday--well, we're supposed to receive it then. Of course, anything could cause a delay.

The point of this is not to complain about not having our things. It has actually been a little "freeing" in some ways to not have all of our things. As Brad Pitt's character in Fight Club says, "The things you own, end up owning you."

Also, there is a rather high incidence of petty theft of personal property here. So, I'm not exactly looking forward to the fear that comes along with the idea of someone breaking into our house to steal something. I can imagine the anxiety that would linger from an experience like that--feeling as though your safe haven has been violated.

Anyhow, it's been good to be reminded that the things we own are merely things and not our lives. They do not define who we are. They can be used as tools for enjoyment or convenience...and in some cases, survival. But they don't make us who we are. We are the same people, vacuum or not...T.V. or not...internet access or not... I prefer life with these conveniences...but just for now, at least, I can see more clearly that they often clutter up my life. I would like to remember what a blessing they can be in my life...but also recall that they are not the end-all, be-all to existence in a modern world.

No comments: